-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John
Felczak
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 3:06 PM
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not loading autochanger (lots more info)

Still having the same problem, but after seeing the recent thread about
required information I figured I'd best include the form with the
information requested.

========= SUPPORT ===============

Bacula version: 1.38.9  (I had thought earlier it was 1.36.3 due to some
inaccurate documentation left behind by the person who had originally
installed it earlier this year, but checked and verified that the installed
version is indeed 1.38.9.)

OS type and version:  Fedora Core 4 (Linux)  Here is output from uname -a:

Linux sandy.siderean.com 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4smp #1 SMP Mon Jun 5 15:01:58 EDT
2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

How was Bacula built/installed?  Was installed from rpms by a former
sysadmin from whom I inherited the project.

Concise description of the problem:  Bacula doesn't load tapes into
autochanger when it needs them.  Instead it keeps prompting to have them
manually losded.  Won't even load them with the bconsole mount command.
Just reports mount OK and logs message requesting me to mount the tape.  Had
previously posted to the list.  Arno suggested I replace all references to
"VXA-Tape" with "VXA-Library" in the director configuration.  I've done so,
but the problem still persists.

Bacula output showing the problem:
*messages
23-Oct 13:14 sandy-dir: Start Backup JobId 234,
Job=Sandy.2006-10-23_13.14.17
23-Oct 13:14 sandy-sd: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
23-Oct 13:14 sandy-sd: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result: nothing
loaded.
23-Oct 13:14 sandy-sd: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
23-Oct 13:14 sandy-sd: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result: nothing
loaded.
23-Oct 13:14 sandy-sd: Please mount Volume "A0000001" on Storage Device
"VXA-Drive" (/dev/nst0) for Job Sandy.2006-10-23_13.14.17

Steps to reproduce the problem:
1. Re/Start all 3 bacula daemons.  (They and the MySQL DB are all configured
to run as services.)
2. Issue the run command.
3. Select a backup job to run.
4. Once the job has started, check messages.
5. Note that Bacula has requested manual load of volume into drive, rather
than having the autochanger load the drive as it should.

Other information (optional):
A copy of your config.out file (if built from source):  n/a, not built from
source

Tape drive/autochanger (for tape problems):  Exabyte VXA PacketLoader 1x10
1U with a single VXA-2 tape drive and 10 slots, the last of which contains a
cleaning cartridge.

Have you run btape "test" command?  I ran it last week, and remember both
the "test" and "autochanger" portions passed.  When I tried the
multiple-tape "fill" test it also failed to load the second tape, but per
Kern's earlier post to the list I understand this is a known bug in btape
which doesn't in itself necessarily indicate that Bacula won't work with the
autochanger.

Since I've made a number of configuration changes since then, figured I
should probably run it again.  Only problem is, the documentation is
ambiguous as to exactly what "device_name" to specify on the command line
when invoking btape.

If I specify the device file for the autochanger itself, I get

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bacula]# btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf -v /dev/sg4
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:265 Could not find device "/dev/sg4" in config file
/etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.
23-Oct 14:19 btape: btape Fatal error: butil.c:154 Cannot find device
"/dev/sg4" in config file /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.

This even though /dev/sg4 is indeed in the bacula-sd.conf file, as the value
of "Changer Device" in both the Autochanger and Device resources.

So tried giving it the autochanger's resource name instead:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bacula]# btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf -v VXA-Library
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:265 Could not find device "VXA-Library" in config file
/etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.
23-Oct 14:20 btape: btape Fatal error: butil.c:154 Cannot find device
"VXA-Library" in config file /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.

This despite the fact that "VXA-Library" is also indeed in the
bacula-sd.conf file as the value of the "Name" directive in the autochanger
resource.

If I give it the name of the drive's resource it gets in, but fails to load
the tape when I run test:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bacula]# btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf -v VXA-Drive
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:272 Using device: "VXA-Drive" for writing.
23-Oct 14:42 btape: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
23-Oct 14:42 btape: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result: nothing
loaded.
23-Oct 14:42 btape: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
23-Oct 14:42 btape: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result: nothing
loaded.
btape: btape.c:338 open device "VXA-Drive" (/dev/nst0): OK
*test

=== Write, rewind, and re-read test ===

I'm going to write 1000 records and an EOF
then write 1000 records and an EOF, then rewind,
and re-read the data to verify that it is correct.

This is an *essential* feature ...

23-Oct 14:43 btape: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
23-Oct 14:43 btape: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result: nothing
loaded.
btape: btape.c:775 Bad status from rewind. ERR=dev.c:678 Rewind error on
"VXA-Drive" (/dev/nst0). ERR=No medium found.

Curiously enough, though, if I run the "autochanger" test it loads the tape
just fine!

*autochanger

Ah, I see you have an autochanger configured.
To test the autochanger you must have a blank tape
 that I can write on in Slot 1.

Do you wish to continue with the Autochanger test? (y/n): y

=== Autochanger test ===

3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.
Nothing loaded in the drive. OK.
3303 Issuing autochanger "load 1 0" command.
3303 Autochanger "load 1 0" status is OK.
23-Oct 14:45 btape: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
23-Oct 14:45 btape: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result is Slot 1.
btape: btape.c:338 open device "VXA-Drive" (/dev/nst0): OK
btape: btape.c:1206 Rewound "VXA-Drive" (/dev/nst0)
btape: btape.c:1213 Wrote EOF to "VXA-Drive" (/dev/nst0)

The test autochanger worked!!

I get pretty much the same results if I invoke btape with the drive's
physical device name /dev/nst0.  The "test" test only works if a tape is
already loaded in the drive, but the "autochanger" tape loads a tape if the
drive is empty.

Looking back on it, I think I must have had a tape already loaded in the
drive when I ran the initial tests last week.

Database problems: what database are you using?  Probably not a database
problem, but database is MySQL
What is the database version?  4.1.19

If the output involves configuration files, consider attaching
bacula-dir.conf, bacula-fd.conf, and bacula-sd.conf if necessary,
appropriate.

Here are the relevent sections of the bacula-sd.conf and bacula-dir.conf,
with passwords removed, and also the modified section of mtx-changer:

>From bacula-sd.conf:
********************

Autochanger {
 Name = VXA-Library
 Device = VXA-Drive
 Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
 Changer Device = /dev/sg4
}

Device {
 Name                    = VXA-Drive
 Media Type              = VXA-2
 Archive Device          = /dev/nst0
 Autochanger             = YES
 Drive Index             = 0
 Changer Device          = /dev/sg4
 Offline On Unmount      = no
 Hardware End of Medium  = no
 BSF at EOM              = yes
 Backward Space Record   = yes
 Fast Forward Space File = yes
 TWO EOF                 = yes
}

>From bacula-dir.conf:
*********************

Storage {
   Name = VXA-Library
   Address = sandy.siderean.com
   Password = <removed>
   Device = VXA-Library
   MediaType = VXA-2
   Autochanger = yes
}

Modified portion of mtx-changer script:
***************************************

# Increase the sleep time if you have a slow device
# or remove the sleep and add the following:
      wait_for_drive $device
      sleep 15
      exit $rtn
      ;;

   list)
      debug "Doing mtx -f $ctl -- to list volumes"
      make_temp_file
# Enable the following if you are using barcodes and need an inventory
#     $(MTX) -f $ctl inventory
#      ${MTX} -f $ctl status >${TMPFILE}
#      rtn=$?
#      cat ${TMPFILE} | grep " *Storage Element [0-9]*:.*Full" | awk "{print
\$3 \\
$4}" | sed "s/Full *\(:VolumeTag=\)*//"
#      cat ${TMPFILE} | grep "^Data Transfer Element [0-9]*:Full (Storage
Element \
[0-9]" | awk '{printf "%s:%s\n",$7,$10}'
#      rm -f ${TMPFILE} >/dev/null 2>&1
#
# If you have a VXA PacketLoader and the above does not work, try
#  turning it off and enabling the following line.
     ${MTX} -f $ctl status | grep " *Storage Element [0-9]*:.*Full" | sed
"s/*Stor\
age Element //" | sed "s/Full :VolumeTag=//"
      exit $rtn
      ;;

This is after I implemented Arno's earlier suggestion to replace references
to "VXA-Tape" with "VXA-Library" and also some other suggestions for this
type of problem that I found in earlier threads in the list archives.

I also noticed in an earlier thread about a similar problem back in March of
this year, Arno suggested that running the "update slots" command might
help.

AL> It is possible that the catalog doesn't have any information about
volumes
AL> available in the autochanger. The easiest resolution in that case is
diong
AL> an 'update slots [scan] storage=Autoloader' in a Bacula console.

This sounded useful, so gave it a try and got the following bizarre output:

*update slots
Using default Catalog name=MyCatalog DB=bacula
Automatically selected Storage: VXA-Library
Connecting to Storage daemon VXA-Library at sandy.siderean.com:9103 ...
Connecting to Storage daemon VXA-Library at sandy.siderean.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "VXA-Library" has 10 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon VXA-Library at sandy.siderean.com:9103 ...
3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 1:A0000001
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 2:A0000002
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 3:A0000003
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 4:A0000004
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 5:A0000005
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 6:A0000006
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 7:A0000007
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 9:A0000009
Invalid Slot number:       Storage Element 10:CLNA0001
No Volumes found to label, or no barcodes.

Note that it skips from slot 7 to slot 9 without any mantion of slot 8
despite the fact that slot 8 exists, contains a tape labelled A0000008, and
can be successfully loaded and unloaded by mtx-changer.  Clearly it sees
that the drive has 10 slots, why can't it number them correctly?  Is this
something I have to configure somewhere?

John J. Felczak
Build & Integration Manager
Siderean Software, Inc.

Here's Arno's reply to my original post, included for purposes of thread
continuity...

Message: 7