Tijl Van den Broeck wrote:
It would indeed be a great space saving feature.

But I wouldn't place my bet only on md5sums, it has been proven that
there -could- occur false matches. There has to be some additional
checking as well, starting with the filename. The chances of a
duplicate md5sum in the same filename, while having different
contents, are so small I doubt it would ever occur. Yes yes, Murphy's
Law, I know, but realistically... would it ever occur?

Filename match doesn't necessarly need to be a 1-1 check, but more of
a pattern check, when a file is copied and renamed, a part of the
original name is mostly kept.

Tijl Van den Broeck