DAve,

Yes. I'm interested in it. We use Cacti and are expanding its use across the board so this is something that I will most likely need to do in the near future. Any tips/tricks you've discovered would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Ian W. Parker

DAve wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Maybe this is really three requests but I think they are all related.
> I've been given a work order to report on Bacula results.
>
> 1, to send a client email when Bacula completes a backup job. This
> email, unlike the one I and my support staff receive, should only report
> completion and the total bytes written by the SD. This I think is easy
> enough using the current resources to send the data to a script which
> will parse out the rest of the normal Bacula message retaining just the
> info I want. My question would be, what exactly is the data sent to
> bsmtp? I can capture it but I was hoping it was documented somewhere.
>
> 2, is there a way to test Bacula reporting? If I know the answer to #1 I
> could of course just create a file and p ipe it to my script. Unless
> there is some way to test this already without running a job.
>
> 3, I need to send the data from each backup to Cacti for monitoring. I
> had at first thought a runafterjob would be the answer, and if so I
> can't figure out where to get the total bytes written value. I've looked
> through the manual paying attention to the section
>
> http://bacula.org/rel-manual/Tips_Suggestions.html#SECTION000353000000000000000
>
> Though now I think a daily cron job along the lines of the
> bacula-src/example/report.pl might be a better idea. If others are doing
> this are there any suggestions?

Looking through the manual again and checking some others scripts I
think a SQL query posting the required data to a DB is the best way to
handle Cacti monitoring. I'll pursue that route. Anyone interested in
what I come up with?

DAve

Veterans?