On Thursday 26 October 2006 11:53, Martin Simmons wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:39:16 +0200, Christoph Haas said:
> > On Wednesday 25 October 2006 23:18, Martin Simmons wrote:
> > > Yes, it sounds like a bug to me.  Which database is that?  Did
> > > Bacula do any pruning during the night?
> >
> > MySQL 4.1.11a on Debian Sarge. I intend to switch to PostgreSQL 8.1
> > anyway when I upgrade that machine to Debian Etch. I'm not entirely
> > happy with MySQL.
>
> OK.  Hopefully it doesn't lose SQL commands though!

You mean whether the information in MySQL can be properly moved to PgSQL?
That's surely a good question. And I don't know if that move is wise
anyway. (/me eagerly awaits comments from happy pgsql users :) )

> I think you should upgrade to Bacula 1.38.11 before investigating any
> further, because that contained a bug fix for pruning (see
> http://bugs.bacula.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000613).

I'll try that, too.

> > > It would be useful to remove the cron job one night and run dbcheck
> > > manually to list the orphaned File records and find the JobIds.
> >
> > Okay. How would I do that? Doesn't dbcheck just tell me the quantity
> > of orphaned records? I just tried it:
> >
> > Select function number: 8
> >
> > Checking for orphaned File entries. This may take some time!
> > Found 176 orphaned File records.
> >
> > That's from last night where I incrementally backed up three hosts. 6
> > jobs were pruned according to the logs but no files were found to
> > prune.
>
> If you switch on verbose mode then it will ask if you want to list them.

Didn't work here. No verbose output at all.

> > > Then
> > > try to find out when the corresponding records with the same JobId
> > > were removed from the Job table (since that's what orphaned means
> > > for a File record).
> >
> > Uhm. Any hint on what to look for?
>
> The verbose file listing includes the jobid, so the first thing to check
> is that this is a sensible value and then check in your logs to see if
> that job was old enough to be pruned.

Unfortunately the verbose flag doesn't change anything:

-------------------------------------

# /usr/sbin/dbcheck -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
Hello, this is the database check/correct program.
Modify database is off. Verbose is off.
Please select the fuction you want to perform.

     1) Toggle modify database flag
     2) Toggle verbose flag
     3) Check for bad Filename records
     4) Check for bad Path records
     5) Check for duplicate Filename records
     6) Check for duplicate Path records
     7) Check for orphaned Jobmedia records
     8) Check for orphaned File records
     9) Check for orphaned Path records
    10) Check for orphaned Filename records
    11) Check for orphaned FileSet records
    12) Check for orphaned Client records
    13) Check for orphaned Job records
    14) Check for all Admin records
    15) Check for all Restore records
    16) All (3-15)
    17) Quit
Select function number: 2

 Verbose is on.

     1) Toggle modify database flag
     2) Toggle verbose flag
     3) Check for bad Filename records
     4) Check for bad Path records
     5) Check for duplicate Filename records
     6) Check for duplicate Path records
     7) Check for orphaned Jobmedia records
     8) Check for orphaned File records
     9) Check for orphaned Path records
    10) Check for orphaned Filename records
    11) Check for orphaned FileSet records
    12) Check for orphaned Client records
    13) Check for orphaned Job records
    14) Check for all Admin records
    15) Check for all Restore records
    16) All (3-15)
    17) Quit
Select function number: 8

Checking for orphaned File entries. This may take some time!
Found 418925 orphaned File records.

     1) Toggle modify database flag
     2) Toggle verbose flag
     3) Check for bad Filename records
     4) Check for bad Path records
     5) Check for duplicate Filename records
     6) Check for duplicate Path records
     7) Check for orphaned Jobmedia records
     8) Check for orphaned File records
     9) Check for orphaned Path records
    10) Check for orphaned Filename records
    11) Check for orphaned FileSet records
    12) Check for orphaned Client records
    13) Check for orphaned Job records
    14) Check for all Admin records
    15) Check for all Restore records
    16) All (3-15)
    17) Quit
Select function number:

So right last night Bacula left 418,925 orphaned file records. :(

I'll try to upgrade now.

 Christoph