Hi,

On 10/26/2006 5:03 PM, Jaime Ventura wrote:
> Hello,
>        On languages such as the Portuguese language there are "special
> characters" with accute accent or circumflex accent, such as ÃÁÂ ç
> (hope you see them correctly).
>       When backing up windows files with filenames with characters such
> as those, bacula (?) translate the to different characters. For instance:
>                    On windows File System:
>                            C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
> Documents\susana\backups\susana\serviço/susana\documentação\
>                    Bacula(?) Translation:
>                             C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My
> Documents/susana/backups/susana/serviço/susana/documentação/
>
>       When I restore them, the filenames are correctly restored to their
> original name. So that means that bacula seems to handle correctly those
> characters.
>        My problem is that I'm trying to set one directory for backup(on
> the file set) which have those kind of characters, but bacula (or the
> system) cant get there
>
>        File option on file set:
>                File = "C:/Documents and Settings/Susana Magalhães"
>
>        What i get when trying to back it up:
>              26-Oct 15:43 GSI01-fd:      Could not stat C:/Documents and
> Settings/Susana Magalhães/: ERR=O sistema não conseguiu localizar o
> ficheiro especificado.
>        Which means "ERR=The system cannot find the path specified."
>        If I use  the "translation" bacula does, File option on file set
> would be like this:
>           File = "C:/Documents and Settings/Susana Magalhães"
>        And it works. So, whenever there's a folder with those special
> characters, I need to do that "translation"
>

>     Is there a easy way to overcome this situations?
>     This seems to be a charset problem. But how can I solve it?
>     Thanks

It might help if you used the UTF-8 character set in the DIR configuration.
I guess you've got it set to iso8859-something now.

I'm never really sure how you do this, but I usually found that setting
"LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8" in the shell gets me a utf-8 character set in
addition to telling programs I want german language.
You have to set up your terminal to use or find the right character sets
and fonts, though. If your OS isn't prepared for utf-8 character sets
this might become difficult, I guess.

Anyway, after you have your working environment set to utf-8 use your
favorite text editor to insert the right characters into the
configuration file. Start the editor from the shell where you set the
language environment.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]