-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Landon
Fuller
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:08 PM
To: Michael Brennen
Cc: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption/Compression Conflict in CVS

On Nov 1, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Michael Brennen wrote:

>>> Not if compression happens prior to encryption. :)
>>
>> Theoretically - yes, but I'm quite sure that encryption usually also
>> compresses data. This is completely unverified and refers to
>> encryption
>> programs that are rather outdated by now, though...
>>
>> But I suppose you could inform us if encryption in Bacula also
>> compresses :-)
>
> Landon, what is your take on this?  Since you wrote the code you
> seem to be
> the best source on whether the openssl functions you are using
> compress data.

Howdy,

The encryption does not include compression -- It made more sense to
piggyback on the existing compression code.
Also, thanks for catching this! I'm embarrassed that I forgot to test
backup+restore with both compression and encryption enabled.

-landonf