On Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:44, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/11/2006 1:31 PM, Silver Salonen wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm testing Bacula 1.38.9 on Gentoo 2006.1 and I'm a little confused here.
> >
> > What I would like to achieve is to be able to run a job concurrently with
the
> > same job's different levels.
>
> Tricky, IMO.
> Mostly because I don't know if it will work as you expect, but a simple
> test case could confirm that.
>
> > For example, when there's a full backup running for a week, it'd be
possible
> > to run incrementals or differentials at the same time (based on the last
> > successful full backup),
>
> I do think that, if you have a full job running, any jobs of a different
> level would be upgraded to a full because the last full job available is
> not terminated Ok. I didn't check the source or try it, though.
>

> > so that I wouldn't lose that week's differentials
> > (that will run right after the full backup completes, but then there
wouldn't
> > be much use of them, would there?).
> >
> > So I have to enable at least 2 concurrent jobs for the job, right?
>
> That sounds correct.
>
> >The problem
> > is that every job can have only 1 Device (through Storage) assigned to it,
so
> > it isn't actually possible to run the same job concurrently as Device
doesn't
> > have the "maximum concurrent jobs" directive.
> >
> > Can my goal be achieved in some other way?
>
> Yes. Either use different pools (which you might do anyway beause of the
> different retention times) and assign a storage device to the pools.
> This works only with 1.39.something, though.
> Or use a job override in the schedule, forcing the backups of different
> levels to different devices. That works with 1.36., perhaps also older
> versions, which I know because I did it long enough :-)
>
> Arno

Hi again.

I took up testing it again so here are my results. I tried the 2nd option as
I'm using Bacula 1.38.9, but I couldn't get 2 jobs to run into the same
directory simultaneously.

I set up a schedule that would start differential backup 2 minutes after full
backup (16:16 and 16:18) and that would override Storage. I checked "status
client" periodically during the full backup and I didn't see that the
differential job had started. Differential started, when full job eventually
finished (16:35).

Did I misconfigured something? Would you please assist me? :)

Silver

Configuration (only these things that matter to my mind ;)
======
bacula-dir
======
Director {
        Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
}
Client {
        Name = btest-fd
        Catalog = MySQL
}
Schedule {
        Name = "WeeklyCycle2Storages"
        Run = Level=Full Storage=storage-btest-full thu at 16:16
        Run = Level=Differential thu at 16:18
}
Storage {
        Name = storage-btest
        Device = device-btest
        Media Type = files-btest
}
Storage {
        Name = storage-btest-full
        Device = device-btest-full
        Media Type = files-btest
}
JobDefs {
        Name                    = default-btest
        Client                  = btest-fd
        Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
        Storage                 = storage-btest
}
Job {
        Name            = btest-test
        JobDefs         = default-btest
        FileSet         = test
        Schedule        = WeeklyCycle2Storages
        Full Backup Pool                = pool-btest-full
        Differential Backup Pool        = pool-btest-diff
        Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/btest-test.bsr"
}
Pool {
        Name = pool-btest-diff
}