[Enhancement Request]
I'd like to see the priority algorith adjusted as follows:

        If bacula is configured to run jobs concurrently, then all jobs with
        a priority number less than the current job (ie., scheduled jobs that
        are more important than the current job) will be allowed to run
        concurrently with the current job. The lower numbered
        jobs would be put at the front of the queue of the jobs that have the
        current priority number. If there are several priorities involved,
        then the same algorithm would apply, with lower priority numbered jobs
        being effectively raised to the priority of the running job, but ordered
        in the queue by their real priority.

Obviously, this would be subject to resource constraints (ie, you can't work
with two different volumes simultaneously in a single device) and to
the date/timestamp specified for job scheduling.

This change would be a tremendous improvement in managing multi-drive storage
devices. This method of scheduling makes bacula more efficient, allowing higher
importance (lower numerical priority) jobs to make use of physical resources as
soon as they become available.

[Example]
Recently, I needed to restore some user files. At the time when I scheduled the
job, our tape changer was in use, with backups (priority 10) writing to volumes
in both physical drives.

The restore jobs were scheduled with a lower priority (6).

I was surprised that the restores did not begin when all the backups but one
were complete, and when one tape drive was idle. Unfortunately, the backup job
that was still active takes over 3 days to complete (~1.5TB over a 100Mbs
network). This meant that the restore scheduled on Friday afternoon didn't take
place until Monday afternoon, even though there was a vacant tape device the
whole time.

Essentially, the priority 10 job running in drive 0 blocked a priority 6 job
from using the vacant drive 1.

Checking the bacula documentation, I see that this is the specified
behavior--that when a job of a given priority is running, jobs of a lower
priority won't run until the existing job is finished.

[Environment]
        Bacula 1.38.11
        Storage Device: PowerVault 132T (2-drive LTO2 autochanger)

On a side note, as our department increasingly depends on bacula, I'm glad to
see so much discussion on the bacula mailing list and that steps to be taken to
ensure the growth and long-term viability of the project.

----
Mark Bergman                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Administrator
Section of Biomedical Image Analysis             215-662-7310
Department of Radiology,           University of Pennsylvania

http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?search=mark.bergman%40.uphs.upenn.edu

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.