On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Peter Crighton wrote:

> What are the best alternative type of drive (it's for a home office so
> only requires a modest capability)

Define "modest"

With many home computers now holding up to 1Tb of local disk, that's an
awful lot of DATs to be stuffing into the drive for one full backup.

> Looking on Ebay DDS-3/DDS-4 drives and tapes are available at a
> reasonable cost, giving a comparable capacity to my current drive and
> probably almost a no-cost swap if I sell my existing drive and tapes on
> Ebay.

Avoid 4mm tape systems - they are prone to failure and in my experience
are not reliable for more than short-term storage

This is no reflection on the technology, the basic problem is the tape
base polymer itself. It's just not wide enough to cope well with flaws.

8mm helical scan systems (AIT, etc) are fine.

There's still only one applicable maxim for tape backup systems :
"Good, fast, cheap: pick any 2"