On Dec 3, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

I'm still targeting it before the end of the year, but it looks like one major new feature will not be enabled, and that is data encryption. The code just is not stable (it doesn't pass a simple regression test), and it affects the Volume data format, and it has known bugs (digest problems), which means that if any fixes involve changing the data format (as one does that I found this
morning), it will create incompatible Bacula Volumes.  This have never
happened before in the 7 years of Bacula's existence.

The bottom line is that unless I have a definitive solution (i.e. a bug fix rather than a rewrite) to the remaining encryption problems by next Friday, 8 December, it will most probably not be a Bacula feature until much later (mid
to late 2007).

One alternative solution is to postpone the release of version 1.40 until late March 2007. Since in all other respects 1.40 is ready to go it would be a shame to postpone the release any longer. Obviously as with all new releases there is the possibility of a few bugs particularly in the new features, but there should be no show stoppers such as Volume format incompatibility that
are present in the encryption code.

It would be negligent of me if this feature isn't ready for release; what are the remaining blockers that you are concerned about?
What is the remaining (potential?) volume format incompatibility?

-landonf