On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 09:47 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Well, any time you upgrade a database, whether or not it is MySQL, SQLite, or
> PostgreSQL, there is a good probability that Bacula needs to be recompiled.
> My experience is that this is rare for MySQL as long as the first two
> versions do not change. For PostgreSQL, the general rule is that one must
> always recompile, and worse, for PostgreSQL, you can easily corrupt your
> database if you don't back it up and reload it after the upgrade. If I am not
> mistaken, this is stated in the manual.

Well, this is the first time I have seen an incompatible upgrade within
a current distribution.

> I didn't look at the issue of rpm requires.  It seems to me that to be safe,
> that the rpm should alway require exactly the same version it was built with.
> This may be a bit overkill, but it is the safest.

Ugh, no. Way too much overhead.

> The best advice I have is that if you are running a production system with
> Bacula or any other program that uses an SQL engine, do not upgrade your SQL
> engine without upgrading all the other software that uses it.
>
> Concerning Fedora. I used that distribution. I dropped it because there were
> just too many problems. I don't regret for a second having dropped it because
> I have had *far* fewer problems.  My personal problems were with FC4 and then
> worse ones with FC5.  In the articles I've read since then FC6 is rated even
> worse. I feel sorry for any Fedora user unless he really enjoys being on the
> bloody edge.
>
> Scott, if you would like to build and release new rpms, OK, but I think we
> should be careful about letting the Fedora cowboys jerk us around.  I don't
> know how to go about documenting this as this particular incident doesn't
> seem to be something for the manual, and all the other ways of providing
> documentation don't seem to reach many of the users.  If you have specific
> suggestions, I'm listening.  I would recommend that you send an email to the
> bacula-users and bacula-devel lists describing the problem.  My proposed
> solutions would be:. the user reverts to the previous version of MySQL.

You misunderstood, the released packages were built against a later
version 5.0.24, updating to which fixed the problem. I expect this
thread will serve to document it as well as any.