I got around the problem by starting the bacula-sd process as root.

Arno Lehmann wrote:
Hi,

I don't recall if this was discussed on the mailing list any further - which I'd suggest - but if this is not a simple permissions problem it might be time to take a really close look at what mtx-changer does, and why it doesn't recognize the number of slots.

Simply check what it does with mtx, and see what mtx outputs in such a situation.

Arno