--On Freitag, 8. Dezember 2006 06:50 -0800 Robert Nelson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yep Microsoft is so obviously at fault here.  First of all they designed
> FAT in the late 70s.  Shame on them for using a filesystem design similar
> to all the other systems at the time.  Then to top it off they have the
> audacity to try and repair it when the user boots the system with a drive
> attached which is corrupted.
>
> UNIX is such a better system.  Let's see what does it do in a similar
> situation?  Well fsck notices the drive needs repair, finds all these file
> fragments that are listed as allocated but not attached to any directory.
> Gee it makes up names for them and puts them in the lost+found directory.
>
> Gee seems like exactly the same thing to me.

Ok, this wasn't about starting a flame-war on Windows vs.
Mac/UNIX/whatever, FAT vs. ext2/ufs/whatever, pointing fingers or anything.
So please calm down.
Anyway, linux/freebsd doesn't mount a filesystem until you explicitly tell
it to do so and it only runs fsck on filesystems in /etc/fstab. FreeBSD
even stops the fsck run if it finds something serious and waits for manual
intervention. Mordern filesystems (ntfs, ufs, ext2fs,...) are much more
stable. And many of them have been available at the beginning of the
nineties. MS in contrast happily continued to use FAT in all its OSes
despite of its known problems. And now you still find disks in the range of
multiple hundert GBs using a filesystem which wasn't designed for disks of
this size. Problem is you almost have no choice, because it is in fact the
only fs that is support on all platforms. Linux is coming up with some
experimental NTFS support, though I wouldn't want to use that for critical
data yet...

> The only real lessons to be learned here is.  If your drive has a problem
> don't continue to use it without fixing the problem.

Explain that to the casual computer user...

> Don't use an OS that
> caches data on removable drives (Windows doesn't MAC OS apparently does).
> Don't use an OS that mounts a drive that hasn't been closed properly
> (another MAC deficiency versus Windows).  Finally don't give your drive to
> someone that doesn't know what they're talking about to have it fixed.

Finally please stop making personal offenses. Thank you.

Regards,
Georg