On Friday 08 December 2006 16:06, Benjamin Chambers wrote:

> Hi Kern,
>
> >> On thing that you might try is to add the Volume name(s) to the catalog
by
> >> doing an add command before running the restore.
>
> This can't be done because there are no pools defined in an empty database
and
> the pool is not included in the BSR:
>
> ====bcsonole start====
> *add volume
> You probably don't want to be using this command since it
> creates database records without labeling the Volumes.
> You probably want to use the "label" command.
>
> Using default Catalog name=MyCatalog DB=bacula
> No pools defined. Use the "create" command to create one.
> ====bcsonole end====
>
> At this point, I'll either have to rewrite our code/documentation to use
> bextract or maintain a patch for 1.38.x to behaive as 1.36.x did (at this
point,
> I don't know what that patch might entail, but it should be fairly simple to
> diff between the two releases).
>
> What would you suggest?  I know I've caught you at a bad time because of the
> imminent release of 1.40 - would you be able to advise on a patch which
removes
> the SD statistic write to the Catalog which may be the cause?

Well, it wasn't such a bad time to catch me because I wouldn't want the same
problem to go out in 1.40, so I came up with a fix, but have not tested it.
That said, I am a bit overworked at the moment ...

You have several options:

1. Execute the Director once on the machine with a valid bacula-dir.conf file
and it will create everything in the database you need to add the Volume (a
dummy entry) -- I think.

2. If you can accept a patch to 1.38.11 (you did not specify the exact version
-- at least in this email), I will create a patch, which as I said is not
tested in your circumstance, but I *think* it will fix the problem.  The
patch to 1.39.30 does pass all the regression scripts so it doesn't seem to
break anything obvious.

Regards,

Kern

> [...]
> >> but with current testing over the last week, I'm starting to think this
it
> > is not.
> >
> > In principle it was supposed to work without needing the catalog.  It
looks
> > like at some point I wasn't thinking through all the consequences and
added
> > code to ensure that the SD updated the catalog with the read statistics,
so I
> > imagine that is what is going on.
> >
> > On thing that you might try is to add the Volume name(s) to the catalog by
> > doing an add command before running the restore.
> >
> > The correct solution is for the SD during a restore to attempt to read the
> > Volume data from the catalog, but instead of failing when the data is not
> > there, it should complain and continue.
> >
> >> The test is to save to a mounted file (Windows share) system.  I had read
in
> >> prior posts where the MediaType must be unique or you get into some
> > problems.  I
> >> have ensured to do this.
> >>
> >> Here's a short summary of test results:
> >>
> >> TEST 1
> >> ======
> >> 1.  Perform a backup of the server
> >> 2.  Perform a 'run job=Restore' using 'mod' to specify the BSR file
created
> >> automatically in step 1.
> >>
> >> Result:  Restore OK (the catalog still existed)
> >>
> >> TEST 2
> >> ======
> >> 1.  Perform a backup of the server
> >> 2.  Run /drop_mysql_database, create_mysql_database, make_mysql_tables
> > scripts
> >> to simulate the loss of the server (Catalog).
> >> 3.  Perform a 'run job=Restore' using 'mod' to specify the BSR file
created
> >> automatically in step 1.
> >>
> >> Result:  Restore FAILS
> >>
> >> I have provided some debug below.  It looks as though the restore first
> > tries to
> >>   match the VolumeName picked up from the BSR against the Catalog.
> > Containing
> >> no data (because the database was re-initialized between backup/restore),
> > this
> >> operation, of course, fails.  At this point, I'm not certain what
> > happens...if a
> >> BSR restore with no Catalog is possible, one would think that the SD
would
> > see
> >> if it could find the Volume specified in the BSR.  I *think* this is
> > happening,
> >> but somewhere along the line, the VolumeName becomes nil.
> >>
> >> I know I can use bextract to do a successful restore in this case...but
it's
> > not
> >> as convenient and it would be good to clear up the capabilities anyways,
> > because
> >> the section on "Disaster Recovery" doesn't (IMO) definitively say what
I'm