--On Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 00:51 +0100 Arno Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/5/2006 12:04 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> ...I would be very interested to know why you don't like Areika.  Having
>> this information always helps ...
>
> Generally, I found Arkeia to be unreliable. There were simply too many
> occasions where backups didn't run, too often without any clues in the
> log files.
>
> The license system especially caused all sorts of trouble, like it
> insisted on not having licenses for machines it had in its database,
> only these machines weren't there. Or changing the machine type without
> aparent reason, and thus requiring a more expensive license.
>
> The GUI looked interesting, but I couldn't work with it.
>
> The tools to manage Arkeia from the shell use a rather peculiar syntax,
> at least very different from any unix/gnu software I know.
>
> The catalog is held in disk directories as links, files, and
> directories. This is a performance problem for the relatively
> underpowered backup servers I run. Also, it's not easily separated
> between machines (which is a feature I really like in Bacula, because I
> have to lose two servers before I need a bare-metal Bacula server
> restore), and managing it when the provided tools don't work correctly
> is impossible.
>
> Some of the components tended to crash, which lead to all sorts of
> problems hidden behind a GUI, rather than presented by it.
>
> The GUI was really painful - setting up a basic configuration needed
> many kilometers of mouse abuse, and I never found a good overview of
> what I set up. This might be a matter of taste, but I do like text
> consoles for system management tasks.
>
> Support was not really helpful - very often it was advised to stop
> Arkeia, remove some things from the file system, and restart. Or use the
> command line tools to manipulate the catalog (usually deleting hosts or
> changing licenses).
>
> The licensing scheme is simply too expensive for me and my customers.
> After all, they need their money to pay me :-) and paying for Arkeia
> software does not deliver you a Backup solution that works out of the
> box, so they need support anyway.
>
> Much of the above is also reflected on the arkeia users mailinglist IMO,
> so I assume that it's not only my fault that I couldn't work with Arkeia.

Your descriptions sound familiar. I was running Netvault on FreeBSD before
bacula.
I remember one bug where netvault would actually count the virtual library
capacity (i.e. disk based storage) twice. This lead to the license not
being sufficient and I had to beg support for a extended license to
workaround the bug. They did never fix this bug in over 3 years.

Generally netvault support seemed very disorganized.
After a hardware change netvault wouldn't start up at all anymore but
segfault while scanning the scsi busses. I couldn't get this fixed after a
lot of struggling with support and in the end I finally decided to dump
netvault alltogether for something else. It seemed like FreeBSD wasn't the
best supported platform for netvault after all.

Enough ranting on netvault. I'm very happy with bacula. There has not been
a single problem since the setting it up November 2005. Still running
bacula 1.38.2 btw.

I would be interested in other experiences with netvault if anybody else
has used it before. Maybe it's a better experience on other platforms or
hardware?

Regards,
Georg