On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:07, Attila Fülöp wrote:
> Folks,
>
> just to dropping  into this discussion.
>
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
> This is right, but only part of a bigger problem. FreeBSD, as opposed to
> other OSes allows symlinks to have own permissions ACL etc and offers
> appropriate syscalls. Specifically this are lchmod, lutimes, lchflags
> acs_set/get_link_np.
>
> I have written a patch witch addresses this issue. So this patch will
> interfere with my changes. I would prefer not to have above mentioned
> "new feature" in the CVS since this will surely give me conflicts on
> next "cvs update".
>
> I'm in the process of writing the regression scripts for my patches.
> Since my patch addresses other stuff (mostly ACL code, and some minor
> fixes) and the writing of regression scripts isn't that well documented
> this may take some time. Nonetheless I hope to have the testing done
> until next Monday.
>
> I will look into the other new patches this evening to see if they
> interfere with my changes and report back tomorrow.

I would be very happy if you will provide a patch.  However, there is almost
zero chance that it will go in before 1.40.0 is released.  The only fixes
that I am accepting at the moment are important bug fixes that do not disrupt
the code too much.  I suggest you simply pull down the new file after I have
integrated the patch and adjust your code to work with it.  This is,
unfortunately, something that developers must do quite often.

Concerning all these differences on FreeBSD:  if the changes needed to make
things work correctly on FreeBSD are extensive and require a bit of
#ifdefing, we are going to have to re-think how we do it.  The code is
already a bit messy and adding more non-standard system dependent code will
push it over my tolerance of messyness.  As a consequence, we will need to
look at ways of making it cleaner --- e.g. moving some of the code, possibly
the system dependent code into subroutines ...