--On Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2006 15:57 +0100 Gabriele Bulfon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I came across the performance problem with SPARC Sun280R machines, at
> first, because they have a slower processor then modern AMD or x86
> machines.
> On sparc machines large backups cannot be managed, because the transfer
> rate of the LTO is slowed down up to 1Mb/s or lower, because of the slow
> performance of Postgres on the same machine.
> Moving the DB on another x86 / amd machine solve the problem, but I
> anyway can reach a maximum rate of 8-10Mb/sec, that is not the maximum
> transfer rate I may have on those LTO drives (that may run from 15 to 60
> to 120 Mb/s depending on the version).
>
> On x86/amd machines, the transfer is higher and acceptable, but yet not
> using the full potential of the scsi library or tape drive, that is
> anyway lower than it may be, always because postgres is slowing down the
> bacula process.

Have you made sure it's not a configuration or hardware problem? First off,
I have not expirience with SPARCs. Still, you might check the following:

Did you test your LTO device with dd? Just create a file with say 1GB of
random data and dd it to the tape (with no other load). Blocksizes of 32k
or 64k should do. For LTO1 this should give you something like 15 MB/s -
regardless of compression settings of the device. If not, either your disks
are slow or I suspect you have hardware trouble. Looking at the machine's
specs, I think it should easily handle this data rate.

Make sure the machine is not swapping. If it does, buy some RAM... :-)

Have you tested postgres performance with something different than bacula?

Regards,
Georg