Hello,

On 12/20/2006 2:22 AM, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> greetings list!
>
> i am taking a diligent look at what i can do with bacula.

You'll find that it's best suited for backing up data :-)

>  on my network, i
> currently use Veritas NetBackup, so i know looking for a suitable replacement
> is a tall order.  I have a mix of linux, a windows or 2, and the rest are all
> bsds (90% free, 10% open).  i currently use backup-to-disk only, with a 550GB
> partition to hold full jobs, and a 120GB partition to hold nightly-cumulative
> jobs (running on windows server 2003).

That's not too much for Bacula, although OpenBSD as a client is not as
easy to set up as other OSes. At least that's what I remember from list
mail - there seem to be some difficulties getting the client to compile.
AFAIK, it works, though.

> im fairly certain that i will one day be able to successfully make a
> transition to bacula, tho today is my first day to do any research on this.
> if anyone has any recommendations for good articles to read for
> backup-to-disk setup, i would appreciate any suggestions, tips, or
> encouragements!

Encouragement: I suppose you can have Bacula up and running in
production early next year, when 1.40 is released.

Sugestions: Simply set up a small installation, preferrably on a
dedicated server. Use Linux or FreeBSD as the OS for the backup server.
Think a while how you will store your backups - an external RAID box
would be my suggestion; perhaps you could even share your existing
backup space.

Set up PostgreSQL or MySQL as the catalog database, don't use SQLite.
Set up the server to back up itself only, at first - you'll understand
basic management like pools, volumes, and jobs, and you will understand
what the catalog is about.

Think about how to store the catalog backup and the related bootstrap
files where they are available for a bare-metal restore of the backup
server itself.

Ifyou've got that basic setup running (probably beginning of 2007,
givent that the holidays are close now :-) you can add more clients.
Windows and FreeBSD should be simple enough, but look through the list
archives in case you encouter problems making the OpenBSD FDs.

The most important thing, IMO, is to understand how pools and retention
periods work. The rest is rather straightforward, but will need some
learning.

Tips: Read the manual. It's long, it's not as well structured as it
could be, but it's a valuable asset.
When you encounter problems, don't hesitate to ask here, but provide
enough information for us to understand your setup, your goals, and the
problems you find.

Good luck!

Arno

> cheers, and wish me luck,

PS: Oh, actually there's not much need for luck... success dependsmore
on your skills ;-)

> jonathan

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]