Assuming that the user would be responsible for the initial partitioning
etc, is there any reason that a generic 'bare metal' restore CD could
not be made? It looks like the catalogs and bootstrap files can be
recreated with the bscan etc tools, so unless I'm missing something, it
should be possible to create a CD with the client daemon (for restoring
where the director is on another machine and is still up) and the
storage daemon (for bextract where the director is not available).

Or maybe this already exists? I looked but couldn't find anything... I'm
currently tinkering with dfsbuild to see what it can put together.

Also, if a pre-backup operation could create a system config file with
all the partitioning and other bootstrap info, then even that could be
restored off of a tape at the start to automate the process.

The reason I'm so interested in this is that the existing documented
disaster recovery procedure seems to include a lot of pre-disaster work
and ongoing maintenance (update your DR CD when updating kernels etc)...
If there was a (more or less) generic ISO that could be downloaded and
run, then the whole process might be a lot simpler, and therefore
attractive...

Thanks

James