> Yes, I think that is a good idea.  First, though, we must create such a
> tar
> file, which doesn't currently exist as such.  If you load and run the
> rescue
> make, it will exist as a directory.

One other thing that might be an issue is encryption information. I'm not
sure if the current scripts grab the key files, etc -- you'd need to get
those too.

> I have
> many
> different configurations of partitioning depending on the use (server,
> file
> server, development, laptop), and by having that data handy when something
> goes wrong at least I can easily see what I had before the crash.

OK. All my systems of a particular type have the same partition structure,
so it wouldn't be useful for me unless everything went up in a smoking heap
all at once, but I can see that others would find it useful. It can't hurt
to save it -- and one never knows when it'll be useful. There's never too
much information in a disaster restore situation.