Hello,

I have setup bacula to make 3 generation backups to an USB disk. Now I
want to extend it with the possibility to swap this disk to always have on
stored remote.

To give you some background, actually I make backups of two machines to a
corresponding local USB disk. I think of swapping these USB disks from
time to time to have remote backups of both machines. The backup data
should be on different encrypted partitions.

I see the following problem. Each instance of bacula has its own database
about pools and media. Changing the files which represent these
backup media by swapping the whole disk does not change baculas
information. So bacula may e.g. reuse that media which may actually be the
newest on that disk or append to a media which was used months ago.

I see two approaches:

1. Have a batch job recognize the change and have bacula import the
physical media and their states. Problem: I have no idea how I can achieve
that.

2. Just configure bacula to have its database on the USB disk, too. Does
that work? Can I just swap the disks with database of a running
bacula-director on it and after restarting bacula-director it will work on
as expected?

I hope I could interest you for that challenge and would very much
appreciate any hint.

Thanks,
Marco