On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Erich Prinz wrote:

> You might configure concurrent jobs as a solution.

It won't help in this situation and the message tends to indicate
concurrent jobs are setup.

"waiting to reserve a device" means that all available tape drives are
in use by jobs using other Pools.

In the case of BackupCatalog it is POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS for it to be
running when any other job is also running. This job shold be run at
either highest or lowest priority (It's lower than normal jobs by
default. I've moved it to "highest" because I want the catalog backed up
every day, even if that means holding up other stuff - when at lower
priority there have been incidents where the catalog wasn't backed up for
2+ weeks while other jobs were running.)

> That way, if one client is off-line, it doesn't hold up the whole
> show for the other jobs. Otherwise, the jobs will queue and wait
> patiently for the device to become available.

Because BackupCatalog should be running at a higher or lower priority than
all other jobs, all jobs should queue before and after it anyway.

Coming back to "waiting to reserve a device"

What other jobs are running?

What does "status director" show?

What does "status storage" show?