On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 07:34 +1100, James Harper wrote:

> Anyway, as someone else said I don't think the standard MBR code is
> smart enough to do anything sane if there is no active partition, which
> (for once :) is not the fault of Windows.
>
> > If I get a chance I'll have to play around with it
> > some more to see what happens.
>
> I for one would be grateful if you could find the time to do this, it
> would put my lingering doubt to bed too :)

My problem was definitely caused by my forgetting to set the active
partition (I did say that it's been a long time since I've worked with
MS systems at this level).  For the archives, here are the steps that I
took to recover a Windows 2003 Small Business Server

* Install new disk (actually, in this case I just deleted/redefined the
Raid disk).

* Boot from the BartPE CD and start networking.

* Use DiskPart to define the partition(s):
   GO->System->Storage->DiskPart
    > select disk 0
    > create part primary
    > active
    > assign letter=c
    > quit

* Start a command prompt and format the drive:
   GO->Command Prompt
    > format c: /fs:ntfs /q

* Use bacula to restore all files onto the disk.

* Reboot

And I had my system back.  There are still a couple of minor issues with
the windows restore (I'll start a new thread for those), but it looks
like our Bacula solution is ready to go.

Thanks for all the help.

        /dwight
--
Dwight Tovey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Work to Live : Live to Ride : Ride to Work