Joshua Colson wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 09:10 -0500, DAve wrote:
>> The reason I ask is that we have had much discussion here about wanting
>> a graphical application for running on the fd side so a user with access
>> could manage the backup for that fd machine only. Such as our
>> development department, right now they send changes to the FileSet to
>> me, with a Bacula GUI they might be able to manage their own backups.
>>
>> The one holdup was that Bacula maintains it's FileSet information in the
>> bacula-dir.conf on the dir. How will the GUI manage this information? I
>> would not want someone on development-fd to cause a config reload on
>> director-dir at will.
>
> I don't know if it will help solve your problem, but according to the
> Bacula manual regarding FileSets
> (http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/FileSet_Resource.html) you can store
> the include list on the client (and therefore the owner of the client
> system can modify it). You can do so with a FileSet like:
>
> FileSet {
>   Name = "ListOnClient";
>   Include {
>     Options { ... }
>     File = "\\</etc/bacula/include-list";
>   }
> }
>
> The '<' in the File directive tells bacula to read the list from a file
> and preceding the '<' with a backslash '\' (in this case two because you
> need a literal backslash in the quoted string) causes bacula to read the
> list from the client machine.
>
> I've not used this functionality because I'm just getting started with
> bacula but I intend to use it extensively if it proves to work well.
>
> I hope that helps.

Well, Windows Administrator and Unix Root access require a trip through
the tier 3 tech support desks blindfolded, naked, and riding a goat.
Permission to edit a text file is harder to achieve. Experience has
taught me to never allow such if I want my pager to stay silent ;^)

We are looking into testing with the pipe though to possibly gather the
FileSet from another resource.

Good thought though, I had passed over that option earlier.

DAve

Veterans?