> BTW: the machine that I have been testing on is a clone of our Domain
> Controller / Exchange Server.  With the exception of the minor
glitches
> mentioned above, after the restore the system came up just fine and
> users were able to log in and get their at their email.  I'm still not
> an expert with Windows (and I intend to keep it that way), but are
there
> other potential issues with restoring Domain Controllers / Exchange
> Servers / other MS servers (other than data-loss between backup and
> crash) that I've missed?

Shouldn't be, provided that it's Windows 2003 and you've used VSS to
back it up, and have applied the recommended updates from Microsoft
which corrected a few nasty problems with VSS.

If the Domain Controller you are restoring is one of several, then there
are a few things to consider when you restore one that's been down for
more than a short time, as it will have gotten out of sync.

One thing that Microsoft do well is document the procedures required for
this sort of thing. A google search with "site:support.microsoft.com" in
it is a wonderful thing (you can search from support.microsoft.com of
course, but it sucks to do so :)

One advantage of being an expert on Windows (I spend most of my working
day immersed in Exchange, SQL, and Active Directory issues, so I think I
qualify!), is that people will take you seriously when you offer an
opinion on the virtues of Linux and open source software, and will view
you as less of a zealot.

James