Hi,

On 1/19/2007 12:13 PM, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
> * Arno Lehmann schrieb am 19.01.07 um 01:27 Uhr:
>
>>Hello,
>>

> Hi Arno,
>
> [...]
>

>>... because "Requires Mount = Yes|No
>>     You must set this directive to yes for DVD-writers, and to no for
>>all other devices (tapes/files). This directive indicates if the device
>>requires to be mounted to be read, and if it must be written in a
>>special way.
>

> As I read this thread I found that this directives (the wording) are not very
> chosen from a usability pov. There are many things that can/must be
> mounted.

Yes, that seems to be part of the problem.

Anyway, Kern explained how Bacula handles these directives, but I
understand that he would rely on the OSes automountin mechanics.

> So I would suggest:
>
>   * Rename this directive to "DVD Writer = Yes|No"

I doubt that this will happen - Kerns is *really* conservative
concerning changes to Bacula that create incompatibility.

> The Term "Requires Mount" can be implied by setting the "Mount
> Point" and "(Un)Mount Command" directives. If those are set it should be
> clear to the user that bacula tries to use them...

Correct, but see above.

Dropping a directive might be easier than changing it, though - Bacula
could still parse and understand it but simply ignore it...
AcceptAnyVolume, anyone? ;-)

> This way, setting "DVD Writer" to "No" and not specifying
> "Mount/Unmount Command" bacula should write directly to a block
> device without using any filesystem.
>
> Then I could tell bacula which block device to use with the "Archive
> Device" directive.
>
> Would be a new Device Type "Device Type = Block" be useful/needed for that?

No, I don't think so...

> Another thing I was thinking of while looking at the Docs:
>
>   "Random access = Yes|No"
>
> Does this setting have some sort auf "Auto" setting when not set? If
> not, wouldn't that make sense? Or in other words: Are there *any*
> disadvantages in setting this to "Yes" for devices that support it?
> If not it should be set to "Yes" automatically if its supported.
> Maybe this directive could even be deprecated then ...

Well, this directive is mainly to make Bacula work with devices where
Random Accessibility can not be determined automatically. Which might be
more than I think. Anyway, the device type configuration should make
this one superfluous... I think it's a safe bet to say that File can be
randomly accessed and Tape not and DVD needs special treatment.

> What do you think?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about these directives. As long as Bacula
can be set up according to your hardware - and I hope this is much
clearer now, regardind removable disks - I'm satisfied.

I mainly think the manual needs refinement.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]