> >Because BAT is a MSDOS reserved word, along with COM, LPR, CON, etc
> >
> >Those reserved words have been grandfathered into Windows systems.
> >
> Thanks for the explanation. :) At least the argument makes sense now,
> although I don't believe the
> reserved word status would prevent something like BAT.EXE from
> peacefully living on a modern
> Windows box.

You're right, and it is a bit silly arguing about it when it is so easy
to test, assuming you have access to a windows machine:

"
C:
CD \Windows\System32
COPY notepad.exe bat.exe
bat
DEL bat.exe
"

Tada! Works fine (obviously not an exhaustive test!)

Of course there may be a Microsoft "Best Practices" document which
states "thou shalt not name an executable 'bat.exe', nor shalt thou name
them 'com.exe', or 'lpr.exe'".

In any case, even if it were called 'bat', there is no reason that the
actual executable has to have that exact name anyway. We have
bacula-sd.exe, bacula-fd.exe, bacula-dir.exe. So the application could
be called 'BAT', but the executable could (and maybe should?) be called
'bacula-gui.exe' or 'bacula-admin-tool.exe'.

James