James Harper wrote:

>>> Is it just me, or did the list just duplicate about 20 emails from a
>>>
> few
>
>>> days ago?
>>>
>> Upon examining full headers of two identical messages, it appeared to
>>
> be
>
>> some sort of snafu between my client and my server. Messages I had
>> downloaded and that should have been tagged as downloaded somehow got
>> downloaded again. Although the original headers and message-id (set by
>> sendmail on the server) were identical, and the date time stamp was
>> identical, the X-UIDL was different. I believe X-UIDL is written by
>> Thunderbird, since it is sandwiched between X-Account-Key and
>> X-Mozilla-Status in the headers.
>>

> I've deleted the dupe's now, and didn't think to check the headers. I
> use Microsoft Outlook though, against a Microsoft Exchange server, so
> I'm fairly sure that the problem hadn't occurred at my end. I'll look
> into it further if it happens again though.
>
> I think what I saw was that about 10-20 messages which first appeared a
> week or so suddenly appeared in my inbox again. As someone suggested,
> the situation may be as follows:
>
> 1. Person A is subscribed to -users and -devel
> 2. Person B is subscribed to -users only
> 3. Person A cross-posts a message to -users and -devel
> 4. Person B does a 'reply all' to that message
> 5. The message goes to -users, but not to -devel as they are not
> subscribed so the messages are held in a 'pending moderation' queue
> instead.
> 6. Such messages accumulate over time, and at some point are released by
> a moderator
> 7. I see what looks like a bunch of duplicate messages in my inbox. They
> aren't eliminated by the normal duplicate detection because of the time
> lag between the original and the dupe.
>
> I'm making a few assumptions though about the way the list works, and
> the moderation process, and how my mail server handles duplicate
> messages.
>
> Assuming that my analysis above is right, is there a way to allow
> someone who is subscribed to at least one bacula- list to post to
> another without requiring a subscription? I guess that's a feature that
> sourceforge either has or hasn't, so the answer should be a simple one
> :)

I think your biggest assumption is that it couldn't have occurred at
your end because you are using Microsoft Outlook against a Microsoft
Exchange server.

Because there were a number of people from the list who said they did
not get the duplicates, your analysis of moderator release doesn't hold
up. In my case, the messages were definitely duplicate, were not just
the list, and I do not subscribe to the developer list, so I could not
have gotten two copies in that fashion.

The only real way of seeing where the messages were duplicated is to
examine the full headers side by side. Since you can't do that now, it's
a lesson for the future.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator