I never saw this on the developer's alias so it took me a lot longer to see
it.

Anyways, the simplest way to handle paths with spaces is don't put them in.
:-)

If you just put the program name in then Bacula will search using the same
rules that cmd.exe uses (current directory, Bacula bin directory, and PATH).
It will even try the different extensions in the same order as cmd.exe.  If
you have slashes in the program name then Bacula figures you went to all
that trouble to fully specify the name, the least you can do is append the 3
character extension.

So if your script is in the Bacula\bin directory then the following lines
should work fine:

        Client Run Before Job = systemstate
Or
        Client Run Before Job = systemstate.bat
Or
        Client Run Before Job = "systemstate"
Or
        Client Run Before Job = "systemstate.bat"
Or
        ClientRunBeforeJob = "\"C:/Program Files/Bacula/systemstate.bat\""

The outer set of quotes is removed when the configuration file is parsed.
You need to escape the inner quotes so that they are there when the code
that parses the command line for execution runs so it can tell what the
program name is.