I think some of the code contains what might be a good solution.

Right now, when a scheduled backup issues a mount request for a tape, it
doesn't matter what tape I load as long as it meets the requirements to
be used.  If it asks me for volume123 from pool xyz, and I load
volume456 from pool xyz the job will run (again, assuming the status of
the tape is correct and there aren't any other problems like file number
mismatch).

I'm haven't coded for ... years, but I wonder if the same logic that
allows the director or storage daemon to determine that it didn't get
what it asked for (volume123), but did get what it wanted (a "qualified"
volume), could be applied to this situation.  That is, read the label,
query for the file and version, and if the mounted volume has the file,
rock and roll.  If not, explain it to the operator and iterate the mount
request.

Yes?