On Wednesday 14 February 2007 13:22, Gavin Conway wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > The problem is that your Catalog database is not well tuned (missing
> > indexes), or you have a very large database.  The performance problem
> > comes from Bacula attempting to find the next volume that will be used
> > for each scheduled job, and to do so, it must generally prune the
> > database.
>
> Kern,
>
> Is there a job or SQL query that can be run that'll optimise the
> catalogue?

Not that I know of.  The manual documents what indexes should exist and how to
create them if they don't.

> Like the original poster I have issues with running st dir to
> the extent that I try not to use the command. You mention missing
> indexes. What would cause these not to be created during the install
> process?

As far as I know, they are created by the install process.

Indexing is a trade off of space and time, and there utility depends on
individual usage, so it isn't clear in all cases which ones are needed.