Hi,

I would like to archive some data to tape and keep it around forever.
Would using bacula to do this be the right way?  Or would simply
tarring them up to the tape be better?

This is a one time job (and not a regular backup), and I have defined
a job for ad-hoc stuff like this within bacula.  I can set the volume
(that this job will go to) to have a very long volume retention, but
that still leaves the job records.

I am concerned that the regular catalog maintenance (trimming) scripts
that run will delete this job after some time, and I will be left
without a way to restore stuff from within bacula.  Whats the correct
way to archive these files and have a way to restore them at a later
date?

The manual suggests using the bsr if we lose the job records, but
piecing together a bsr file for about 500 files doesn't seem very
appealing to me.  I can store the current bsr for the job, but then
again, I would have to pick the files names I need restored from it by
cross-referencing it against the catalog.  How is this normally done?

Thank you,

Aravind.