On Thursday 15 February 2007 11:14, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >> Not quite, it shows no job completed - the attributes are despooled to
> >> tape after the job finishes.
> >
> > A file's attributes are actually written to the Volume *before* the
> > file's data.
>
> Oops. I was referring to the database insertions, not attributes.
>
> Kern, I've been wondering about this for a while. Wouldn't it be better to
> have the file details for aborted backups inserted to the database than
> simply dumped?

This is currently what Bacula does when you do not use spooling -- i.e.
neither data spooling nor attribute spooling, so in *some* cases (probably
not the most useful), it is already implemented.

I'm not convinced that the average user wants the attributes for a failed job
put into the database, as in most cases, they are pretty much useless, and
simply consume more disk space -- after all, 99.9% of the time you are going
to re-run the failed job.

This could potentially be put on an option, but, IMO, is a Feature Request.