hello

i am new to this list, and hope it is the correct place to ask such
questions.

i am currently evaluating bacula as a backup-solution with our new
Quantum SuperStore3 (DLT-S4).

i am running debian/etch (kernel-2.6.18) with the latest debian-packages
of bacula found at the sourceforge.net site.

my system has passed the basic btape test, but now i have a small
problem with the btape "fill" test and my device:

- i make sure that there is a tape in the drive
- i run "btest fill" and select "single" mode.
- i wait for 6hours till the 800GB of the tape are filled
- btape now ejects the tape
- and does not reload it any more:
log excerpt:
15-Feb 17:20 btape: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
15-Feb 17:20 btape: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result is Slot 9.
15-Feb 17:20 btape: 3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot 9, drive 0"
command.

- i manually load the the tape from slot#9 into the drive
- and press return
- btape ejects the tape again and complains again, that it cannot find a
tape

this is the device-spec from my bacula-sd.conf

<snip>
Device {
  Name = SuperLoader
  Media Type = DLT-S4
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/sg4
  AutoChanger = yes
  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
}
</snip>

i started btape with "btape -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0"

i read in the documentation that it is recommended to use the new
"Autochanger" directive in the bacula-sd.conf.

i haven't tried this yet, because i hope that i will get the answer
faster on this list than waiting another 6h before possible failure.

does anybody have an idea of what my problem might be?
do you need more information?
or should i use the "autochanger" mode for the "fill" test (i have read
that this is still buggy in some online resource; and i have tried this
yesterday but it wasn't successfull either - i think it was a segfault,
but i cannot remember; if it is important i can rerun this test)

mfg.fga,sdr
IOhannes

PS: i tried to file a feature-request at the bug-tracker (with
severity="feature") in order to add a logging option to btape, but kern
has closed it, suggesting that it is not a bug but a feature-request.
where can i file a feature request?