Thanks for your reply, I just modified the conf file, and will start the
backup tommorow. I have one more question though. I initially had seperate
daily pools e.g. Daily-tues to Daily-Fri. All the three system daily backups
went to one pool each day. In the configuration you just told, if I am
having one job for each system then I cannot account for all the different
daily pools because one job can only take one Incremental pool in its
definition. However for the testing purpose I have just created one daily
pool for each system i.e. tracfire-daily, tracweb-daily and tracsun-daily,
and see if I can manage the backup with all 5 dailies of one week going to
one tape. But if I have to stick with my previous scheme, how will I cater
for the problem?

thanks and Regards

On 2/20/07, Martin Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> thanks for your reply. I am still not sure about the exact problem.
Please
> correect me if I am wrong on following:
>
>   As the example states, it looks like that there has to be one schedule
(
> as compared to 3 seperate I have) which will spepcify the level of the
> backup i.e. full, differential and incremental and the timings.  So I
should
> have one schedule which will do all the scheduling rather than having
three.

Correct.

> For the job definitions, from your comments and the example my
understanding
> is that I will have only three jobs for my three systems instead of
having
> seperate full, differential and incremental jobs with different schedule
for
> each system. Each job resource will have the backup pools defined with
that
> single schedule directive name I had defined in schedule section.

Correct.  When this is working, you will need a fourth job for the catalog
backup, which is usually run after all the other jobs.

> As a result the system will take a full backup on the full backup pool,
and
> the differential backup will reference the same full backup for the
> differntial backup instead of reverting to its own full backup and
similalry
> the daily backup will reference the same full backup instead of
reverting to
> its own full backup.

Correct (though the daily incremental backup will also reference the
differential backup).

__Martin

> thank you so much for all your help.
>
> Regards
>
> >From your comments my understanding is that

> > > Hi Martin,
> > >
> > > thanks for your reply. i really appreciate it. I don;t think the job
> > > retentions should be a problem, however I did not get the level
options.
> > > tried using the same name for the jobs, but check conf gave me an
error
> > > saying that no two jobs can have the same name, though the backup
level
> > was
> > > different.I am however attaching the conf file for your review. I'll
be
> > > gratefull if you can pin point the mistake, cos this seems to be the
> > last
> > > hurdle in my implementation!
> >
> > Please always CC the list in replies.
> >
> > Sorry, I wasn't clear about the job definitions.  You need 1 job
> > definition
> > for each set of files and client that you want to back up, e.g. named
> > something like "Tracfire", "Tracweb" and "Tracsun".  The job
definition
> > can
> > use the Full Backup Pool, Incremental Backup Pool and Differential
Backup