Arno Lehmann schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On 2/21/2007 11:52 AM, HAWKER, Dan (external) wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Am presently in the midst of configuring Bacula to backup some
>> aggregated data from a few servers to tape. All works fine, however am
>> slightly confused wrt cleaning tapes.
>>
>> According to the manual you can assign a cleaning prefix, however as I
>> understand this is only useful for autochangers with barcodes.
>
> Right.
>
>> So how do you create a cleaning job???
>
> I don't.
>
>> For instance I'd like to assign
>> slot6 as a cleaning slot, and then create a *CleaningJob* that loads and
>> accesses the cleaning tape, once a week. Say on Sunday evening when
>> nothing should be happening.
>
> No. I would not do this.
Ok.

> Modern tape drives can decide themselves when they need to get cleaned.
> Cleaning more often than strictly necessary will no only use up the
> cleaning cartridge but might also damage your tape drive and invalidate
> its warranty.
>
> Autochangers can usually manage cleaning on their own - you dedicate one
> slot to the cleaning tape, and everything else happens automatically. I
> don't know if tis interferes witch Baculas operation, though - I don't
> operate an autochanger like that.
Usually only, if this is a high expensive tape library. I have bought an
Libra-8 8 cartrige DDS-3 and an 6 cartrige DDS-2 HP libraries.
Both libs have no barcode reade.
It is possible that both can use a cleaning cartrige.

But update slots scan command after cartrige change of the other ones
are not a good Idea because the cleaning cartrige is loaded, too.
At this time the tape is loaded but will eject by the drive but not unload.
And bacula don't eat the cartrige and is still waiting for the
data on it (but could never read them)

>> Is this supported in Bacula, or is it just easier/better to have a quick
>> and dirty script run from cron, that uses mtx to load and then unload
>> the tape???
If I use mtx bacula will not see what I did with the other cartriges.
So I got problems because bacula has other information stored.

> There is a feature request open regarding better tape cleaning
> management... until that is implemented, I do that manually.
At first I need a option so bacula will never use a proibited slot.
At the moment I know only, that I can use Cleaning prefix and than
add the Cartrige manually by add command. But I have not test this
because the update slot scan feature will check the slot again.

Only modifying the mtxchanger script is a workaround, but then
I must modify it on a very dirty way.

> Whenever there is a tapealert (which you can get into Baculas job
> report) or a drive failure, it's time for manual intervention. Not
> really a serious problem, because in a clean environment you won't have
> to clean your drives very often. And you wouldn't want to operate a
> modern tape drive in a dusty environment :-)
Ok. Some points of a feature for next bacula:

Here my feature request for a cleaning enhacement:

1. It should be possible to declare for one or more cleaning slots
   in a library.
2. A max. cleaning procedures for a cleaning tape should declared.
3. The cleaning procedure should only arrange by bacula (count the
   cleaning procedures)
4. The cleaning procedure should be declared by a job.
5. The job should be run by a request (tape alert, run command,...)
6. The cleaning job should be abort if the number of cleaning requests
   are arrived (message or other)
7. update slots scan should never scan the defined cleaning slots.
8. cleaning slots should never requests for reading/writing.

What did the tape if I do cleaning manually:
(Cleaning cartrige in slot 8)
1. mtx load 8
The changer loads the cartrige in the drive
The drive inject the cartrige and cleaning process is startet.
The drive ejects the cartrige and know its different:
Libra-8: mtx unload 8 is needed because the drive eject don't
   unload the cartrige back in slot.
HP 12000: The drive eject the cartrige and the changer unloads
   the cartrige automatically back in the slot (6)
   (I'm not reallly shure. didn't use the library any more)

Discussion is welcome :-)

MfG...
Pierre Bernhardt