What is the procedure to follow when a tape is full? I have a tape drive with
40/80 DLT tape that fills up over 2-3 months. Then one night the tape gets
full, and the job running at the time is blocked. At this point, I unmount in
bconsole, physically eject the tape and put in a new or pre-labeled tape (which
is past the volume retention). The status of the storage at this point is
"Device is BLOCKED. User unmounted during wait for media/mount."

I label the new tape or mount the pre-labeled. At that point, the status of the
storage is shown as mounted with such and such volume. But the jobs never
start, and the status also shows that "Device is BLOCKED waiting for media"
right below the line stating the device is mounted with a certain volume of a
certain pool.

I've tried various commands such as add, update, etc. and looked at the User's
Guide for hints, but I always end up rebooting to get past this point. This
happens whether or not the pool for the jobs queued have other volumes defined.
All of the jobs use this one pool.

What is the correct way to handle this basic case? Thanks.

It's here! Your new message!