I work on linux (rhel4) with a Certance tape (DAT72)
I have exactly the same problem on my backup server.
I wanted to "backup" a client but (after 2GB written)  i 've got the same
error (like michael).
the greatest problem is that now, i can't launch backup without have this
error.
Does anyone have a solution?

Device from bacula-sd.conf :

Device {
 Name = Certance                      #
 Drive Index = 0
 Media Type = DAT72
 Device Type = tape
 Archive Device = /dev/tape
 AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
 AlwaysOpen = yes
 RemovableMedia = yes
 Label media = yes
 RandomAccess = no
#  # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
#  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
}

Thanks a lot
P.S : btape test is OK.
P.P.S : Sorry for my english ;-)