Bill Moran wrote:
> Alan Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Our current main fire/data safe is a Phoenx Data commander 4623, which is
>> capable of taking 720 LTO tapes in current configuration (39 per drawer,
>> cased, increasing to 45 uncased)
>>
>> See http://www.phoenixsafeusa.com/
>> or http://www.phoenixsafeusa.com/us/viewproduct/4620_data_commander.html
>>
>> This cost a shade under US $10,000 with tax and delivery included.
>
> Interesting, but I suspect that's a little out of the price range for
> someone wanting to protect their data at home.  I know I wouldn't
> even know where to put such a thing at my house.
>
> It'd be cheaper to just rent a safe-deposit box.

It may not help very many people, but for anyone who already has a fire
safe at home (not data grade), there are media cooler units (schwab
makes the one that I found) that you can put inside, I recently
discovered.  I've been using my fireproof gun  safe to store my backup
media, hoping that by putting the media on the bottom, it might survive
the internal temperatures of the safe in a fire.  However, with a media
storage unit inside my safe (~$300, capacity for ~10 LTO carts) I could
also store media safely.  Apparently, these can also fit into fireproof
file cabinets that aren't data grade--something you might be able to
pick up used.

-se

-se