Hi,

2007/3/5, Dominik Jonas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> we got a new server in our company. It run several services on several
> XEN virtual machines (e.g. mail, webserver, yp). I want to know if it is
> better to run bacula in its own XEN or directly on the hostsystem? This
> server has enough hardware ressource for both.

The Xen documentation is quite clear about running services in dom0:
do NOT do it. There are reasons for that statement, mostly reasons based on
bad experiences following bad choices or as we say "dicke finger und
keine backups".

Xen allows you to export the fc- or scsi hba the tape is connected to
to the domU
that will use it.
>From a disaster recovery point of view it is not desirable to have the
backups in a domU,
unless you're able to provision that domU to a ready state without
relying on backups,
i.e. bring up the domU on a 2nd dom0 if the dom0 #1 is broken.

If You can ensure that and have some xen experience, you could also
just run a bacula-sd
in dom0, that's not so much pain and/or risk. I've done this for some
time after settling my toyground into one larger box - but that was at
home, not for a company people rely on.

my main advice would be a different, non-virtualized host for the backups.

Good luck,
Florian