Hello, folks!

Sorry for this ugly $subject.

I've been playing with bacula and noticed a strange behaviour. I have
configured a Pool with disk volumes of size 100MB each. On one run I
wrote three tapes. Then I've deleted the catalog and recreated it with
the scripts shipped with bacula. On the next run bacula took the first
tape, seeked to the end and started to write another 100MB appended to
the volume resulting in volume of size 200MB.  I think this is not a
user-expectable behaviour of "Maximum Volume Bytes", i.e. I think this
is a bug, no?

I use Maximum Volume Bytes in order to fill up my partitions as much as
possible. I've learned the folowing rule of thumb: If the partition is
under heavy load you should take care that it doesn't fill up more than
70% (one opinion, there are others like 80%). However I'd like to use
approx 100% and then I have a fragmentation, i.e. performance, issue.
Don't you think it would be clever that bacula didn't truncate each
recycled volume file and start with size 0, but instead leave the file
allocated on disk as it is and just start over-writing from the
beginning, just as bacula would do on tape volumes?

That way the disk volumes would be allocated statically on disk and one
could try to defragment it more or less appropiately once and afterwards
there would be not fragmentation added by bacula, since it doesn't need
to allocate disk blocks again and again?

My two cents,
/HM