On Thursday 29 March 2007 16:47, Juliet Kemp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to do a very large restore - the filesystem in question is 1TB &
> it was about 80% full last I looked.
>
> When I use bacula-console, and ask for a restore of the last backup from
> this client, it generates the initial long list of jobs, starts to build
> the file list, and then hangs (after about 10 of the + marks).
>
> Could this be caused by the machine on which Bacula is running being
> unable to cope with the load of database requests?  (The database itself
> is on another machine, which seems OK; I'm backing up to an
> autochanger.)  Should I just try leaving it even longer?  It seems to
> move at a slow but perceptible speed briefly, then stops.  top shows
> bacula-dir as using 95%+ of CPU & 90%+ of memory; previously when I've
> tried this I've also seen "defunct" bacula-dir processes appearing in
> the process list.
>
> I've restored to this filesystem from Bacula before, but it wasn't so
> full then (& the Bacula 'server' machine wasn't so old!).
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions on how I can get this data back?

There are some tips at the end of the Restore chapter in the manual that might
help, but it probably will not be easy.

Very likely things would go much better if you upgraded to 1.38.11 since the
restore code is significantly improved performance wise.  However, depending
on your CPU, memory, and the number of files, it may not be fast enough.

It would even be better to upgrade to 2.0.3 (requires two database upgrades),
which has no speed advantage over 1.38.11, but from there you can use the
2.1.6 code, which sets up the in memory tree some 500 times faster in my
tests with large numbers of files.  2.1.6 is development code and not quite
yet suitable for production, but once on a 2.0.x database, it would be
possible to build and run a 2.1.6 director just for restoring.

> I have also tried
>
> bls -V ABK708L "Overland 2000"
>
> to see if I can get a manual listing of the relevant tape (barcode label
> ABK708L), but that takes a long time & then fails saying "/dev/st0 in
> use".  Any thoughts on that?
>
> I'm running 1.36.2 on Debian sarge (I'm aware it's old but it's also
> what's available in sarge!).

Yes, I am not supporting 1.36.x any more.  That's not too bad because if you
are using it already, it is very stable and unlikely to break.