Hi,

On 3/29/2007 4:47 PM, Juliet Kemp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to do a very large restore - the filesystem in question is 1TB &
> it was about 80% full last I looked.
>
> When I use bacula-console, and ask for a restore of the last backup from
> this client, it generates the initial long list of jobs, starts to build
> the file list, and then hangs (after about 10 of the + marks).
>
> Could this be caused by the machine on which Bacula is running being
> unable to cope with the load of database requests?

Yes.

>  (The database itself
> is on another machine, which seems OK; I'm backing up to an
> autochanger.)  Should I just try leaving it even longer?

Yes.

>  It seems to
> move at a slow but perceptible speed briefly, then stops.  top shows
> bacula-dir as using 95%+ of CPU & 90%+ of memory; previously when I've
> tried this I've also seen "defunct" bacula-dir processes appearing in
> the process list.

Bad things... if your Bacula server runs out of memory during the
tree-building process, it will crash. As a workaround you could add more
swap, but that doesn't make things faster, only allows Bacula to finish.

> I've restored to this filesystem from Bacula before, but it wasn't so
> full then (& the Bacula 'server' machine wasn't so old!).
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions on how I can get this data back?

bextract might help. Or put more memory into your server.

> I have also tried
>
> bls -V ABK708L "Overland 2000"
>
> to see if I can get a manual listing of the relevant tape (barcode label
> ABK708L), but that takes a long time & then fails saying "/dev/st0 in
> use".  Any thoughts on that?

Sure... first, better use the non-rewinding tape devices for Bacula,
i.e. /dev/nst0. To access the tape drive outside of Bacula, you must
unmount if using the console.

> I'm running 1.36.2 on Debian sarge (I'm aware it's old but it's also
> what's available in sarge!).

You *really* should consider upgrading :-)

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]