Brian,

Are you also seeing this on Windows?  If so it is quite possible that I have
a bug in the Windows emulation of the UNIX tape IOCTLs.  I've ordered an
Ultrium 232 drive to do further testing on both Windows and Linux.  If there
is anything we can do to fix this in Bacula I should have a fix next week.

In the meantime you can use the Maximum Volume Bytes to work around the
problem.  That isn't a good long term solution though; since it doesn't
account for the tape saved through compression.  You could be wasting as
much as half the tape.