Hi,

On 3/30/2007 5:03 PM, Benjamin E. Zeller wrote:
> 1 baender pro tag, insg 10 baender
> sicherungsverf. mo-fr die ersten 15 ( 3 pro tag) nix am we,
> woche drauf baender 16-30
> woche drauf

Thanks for your working notes :-)

> Hi list,
>
> it's me again :-9
>
> Got a new scenario, on which I need some advice and help, whetehr it is
> possible to solve that requirements with bacula.
> I'll try to clarify the circumstances by bringing up an example.
>
> The "exercise" is the following:
>
> From monday to friday, a fullbackup should be written to tape - no backups on
> saturday and sunday.

No problem.

> Let's say, one's got 10 tapes overall. Week 1 uses tape 1-5, week 2 uses tape
> 6-10, week 3 1-5 again and so on.

You can set something like this up, but I don't like it.

> The question is: is it to handle, that bacula does not reuse the labelled
> tape
> 1 on monday of week 3, but really erases it, labels it with the current date
> and does his backup job.

Oh oh... using some scripting, this is possible, but I would strongly
recommend against it. Baculas volume management is good enough to not
need that sort of games.

Also, think what happens when you use an autochanger with barcode
reader: You'd have to stick new labels to your cartridges every time you
want it relabeled...

> Or to say "OK, today, I want to take a tape offsite
> and replace it with a new tape from my vendor, which was never used before".
> So bacula needs to be told, to e.g. on 3rd monday tape no. 1, but not to
> append but relabel it with the current date OR use a new tape.

Also possible with heavy scripting, I think.

> This example can be spread up up to 4 weeks cycle with 40 tapes etc.
>
> I hope I was able to state my question if not, please ask :-)

I sense a fundamental difference of philosophy... for you, the tape
label is some kind of a name indicating the tape's contents.

For me, the tape label is a unique identifier for a single tape, which
will never change during that tapes lifetime, and which will never be
reused.

Of course I think I am right :-)

If you really want to have changing tape labels and automatic
relabeling, you will need some complex scripts to achieve that with Bacula.

Arno

> Greetings,
>
> Benni

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]