Just to follow up:

I basically spent my weekend testing various ways and this is what I
came up with:

the thing that always breaks bacula-dir is sqlite3 with threads. now,
if you want to use a threaded sqlite3, better of using sqlite3-threads
port (i reckon changing dependency to this might be safer!?).

Yes there is difference between ports/databases/sqlite3 built with
WITH_THREADS options compared to ports/databases/sqlite3-threads, I
wont pretend to understand why??. building
ports/sysutils/bacula-server with WITH_MYSQL or WITH_POSTGRESQL work
fine.

also to note, if you want to jail(8) bacula-dir with sqlite3 - use
sqlite3-threads, otherwise Disk I/O Error and not being able to add
Tables to database all hell will break loose.

all tested with FreeBSD-STABLE and FreeBSD-CURRENT.

Thanks all, for the rapid responses and the great software :)

--
Kimi