Brian Debelius wrote:
> Jerry Amundson wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/07, Bill Szkotnicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> In our case the main computing services centre insists upon dynamic
>>> IP's  for all workstations.
>>>

>> The issue is DNS, which DHCP and/or the PC should be updating
>> automatically using DDNS standards.
>>
>> Have you checked from the Windows command prompt?
>> "ipconfig /all" shows the Host Name, then "nslookup Host_Name"
>>
>> jerry
>>

> I'm confused.  Why can't you just use the fully qualified domain name of
> the windows computer?  When a windows computer gets a new ip from dhcp,
> it updates the dns automatically.

It's worth noting that although DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is out there, and is
integral to Windows Active Directory, many sites and systems
administrators do not want "stupid" PCs messing with attempts to modify
their DNS entries. (Note that I put that in quotes to make it clear that
this is simply something that they might say. And they call the shots.)

An environment that administers dhcp for simplicity (not having to
assign a gazillion fixed IPs), but does not allow DDNS, is probably
pretty common and presents a problem for bacula if bacula must be
configured with an IP address that might then be a moving target.

I wonder if someone could come up with some sort of protocol (call it a
key exchange, maybe) where a client could let bacula know that it has
changed it's IP address. Bacula would have to have some way to confirm
that it was in fact the client that it says it is (maybe MAC address?).
Sounds messy, but maybe someone could give it some thought, decide
whether it really is a problem that needs to be solved, and maybe come
up with a simple approach.

It's not something I have to deal with, because my stuff is all fixed IPs.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center