Dan,

Congratulations from me, as well. Get ready for a significant culture shock as
well as a weather shock. You'll find south Florida to be a much more laid
back, casual place to work. On a more negative note, be prepaired for higher
property taxes & insurance and hurricanes. (I don't know anything about
property taxes in Ottawa but property taxes in FL are high relative to most
of the USA, and, of course you don't get many hurricanes in Ottawa :-)

I second Kern's recommendation re airconditioning. Life couldn't exist, here
in the southern US, without A/C.

Feel free to make a stop in Montgomery AL on your drive down. My wife is from
Miami so we can give you some insight into FL, the southern USA as well as
provide you a free bed for a night!

Cheers!

cmr

On Saturday 07 April 2007 02:20, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> Congratulations on your new job.  The only thing that they probably didn't
> tell you is that depending on exactly where you will be, unless you learn
> Spanish you might feel a bit disadvantaged :-)  I don't consider that a
> negative point, but rather a nice opportunity.
>
> About the weather, I wouldn't worry too much.  I lived 12 years in
> Maryland, which has "similar" summer weather (with winter weather like the
> northern US) and once you learn how to slow down your movement in the
> summer, everything goes pretty well.  If you have a car, I recommend
> selling it and getting one with air conditioning -- that will make life a
> lot nicer in the summer. The only unpleasant moments were when it was 90 F
> degrees (32 C) outside, my car had been sitting in the sun (40-45 C
> inside), and it would start raining around.  Typically this is around 3pm.
> It becomes somewhat of a catastrophy without A/C trying to deal with the
> heat (windows rolled up to prevent inondation) and fogged windows.  :-)
> Car A/C solves the problem.
>
> We wish you the best and look forward to hearing from you and hopefully
> your continuing participation.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kern
>
> On Friday 06 April 2007 23:00, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > I've accepted a job offer from eSilo.com.  This means I'm moving to
> > Jupiter (north of Miami) Florida from Ottawa.
> >
> > eSilo does backups over the Internet.  It's a turn-key solution.  I'm
> > not yet sure how much I can talk about what I'm going to be doing,
> > but my primary roles do not intersect with the work I've done on
> > Bacula.  There will be an NDA for me to work on, but that won't
> > prevent me from continuing to contribute to Bacula.
> >
> > Biggest tasks to hand: find a place to live, move my stuff down
> > there.  Biggest thing to move that I can't drive there: my HD TV....
> >
> > --
> > Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
> > my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php
> > PGCon - The PostgreSQL Conference - http://www.pgcon.org/

Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------
"More laws, less justice." -- Marcus Tullius Ciceroca, 42 BC