On Tuesday 10 April 2007 01:21, Ilya Volvovski wrote:

> [...]

As long as governments allow patents on ideas rather than physical inventions
as they were originally intended to protect, I have no problem with companies
obtaining patents for original works such as yourself or IBM as a means of
protection (too bad it has to be done), providing they clearly indicate in
the license that the patent can be freely used.

> > If it is a question of making Bacula interface to a patented
> > device  -- I don't see a big problem -- after all, Bacula
> > interfaces to computers, disk drives, tape drives, ... all of
> > which are patented devices (or have patented components).
> >
> So there is no need to interface with a patented device as I explained.
>

> > > Our software would give means to store data, but we are not backup
> > > experts.  We want the existing backup solutions be used as
> > before but
> > > enabled to store data on Cleversafe Storage Grid. Being an
> > open source
> > > project we first looked at open source solutions and this
> > lead us to
> > > Bacula.
> >
> > As mentioned above, I would like to understand your patent vs
> > you Open Source position a bit more.
> >
> > Also, I would be interested in your overall plan -- e.g. are
> > you proposing it to all backup solutions?  or are you just
> > targeting certain ones?
> >
> At this point we have no clear preferences, we do research and Bacula
> happened to be the first in the list.
> In fact we would like to be backup solution agnostic as much as possible
> and let people decide which tool they would like to use as long as the
> final destination for their data is the Cleversafe Storage Grid.
>

> > > Cleversafe has no expertise in using Bacula. However we
> > were able to
> > > install and we performed a very trivial integration with NO
> > changes to
> > > the existing Bacula codebase. We confirmed that if we
> > configure Bacula
> > > with a file type device, which happen to be our grid, we could use
> > > Bacula to store data on it.
> >
> > Nice.  It sounds like you have made your grid compatible with
> > a filesystem.
> Yes, in proof-of-concept it was implemented as a block device. That's
> one of the simplest integration that we are looking at.

To proceed, I would suggest two things:

1. Clarify what your patent use license is in relation to Open Source software
and using your grid (software).

2. Make your Bacula interface software available somewhere, and announce it on
the bacula-users and bacula-devel lists and ask for feedback.  That should
give you an idea of the interest.  I for one would be interested in learning
more ...

Best regards,

Kern