Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Monday 09 April 2007 21:22, Josh Fisher wrote:
>
>> Kern Sibbald wrote:

>>> True.

>>> This is not true within Bacula. For each Device (tape, DVD, disk,
>>>
> FIFO, ...)
>
>>> Bacula has a single file descriptor thus only one Volume can be open for
>>>
> each
>
>>> Device, whether tape or disk.  Multiple jobs can be simultanously writing

>>> that Volume.  However, since a Volume can be in only one Pool, and since
>>>
> you
>
>>> can only write to one Volume per Device, you can only be simultaneously
>>> writing to one Pool per Device.
>>>
>>> To simultaneously write to more than one Pool, you need multiple Devices.
>>>

>> Yes. I guess I didn't phrase that very carefully. I believe Kyle has two
>> pools, "local_pool" and "remote_pool", and each pool  is using a
>> different Storage resource by specifying Storage= in the Pool resource
>> definition. I assume the Storage resources are pointing to two different
>> SD devices.
>>

> OK.
>

>> In that case, specifying Maximum Volume Jobs = 1 in both of
>> the pools should prevent the possibility of interleaving.
>>

> That's not the best way to resolve the problem, and is likely to fail because
> of subtle timing problems if you are running two jobs simultaneously.
>
> To prevent interleaving of blocks, either restrict the number of simultaneous
> jobs for that Device using any number of methods such as priorities, Max
> simultaneous jobs for the Storage,... , or use Spooling.

OK. I had thought that with Max Volume Jobs = 1 there could only be one
job writing to a volume, since a device can have only one volume
mounted, and that any other jobs would have to wait on the device
because they would require a different volume. So Maximum Concurrent
Jobs = 1 in the Storage resource will always prevent interleave?